Thursday, October 14, 2010

Last of the Zucchini, Take Two

On Wednesday, before I picked up the last CSA of the season, I went to my parents' house. I went there for two reasons. First, I wanted to see my dad who had knee surgery last week, but is now up and walking around on crutches. Second, I wanted to do some gardening.

I left the remaining carrots in the ground, since they keep well there, and knew I was getting some from the CSA. I picked a lot of zucchini, though. And two potatoes, two butternut squash, and a pumpkin. And I brought some questionable onions home with me.

I'm not kidding about the zucchini. I picked a Lot. NINE.
The dog ate part of one, because the flower end was starting to rot.

Okay, so they weren't particularly large zucchini, like some of the ones I harvested this summer. In fact, they were downright puny:
but they're still zucchini (and that is a votive candle).

I made the rest for dinner tonight, along with an eggplant I picked up at my local Thursday Farmers' Market,
two CSA onions and one questionable onion from my garden, (The onions my dad and I grew are all spotty and slightly soft.)
a quart of homemade tomato puree from Thursday Market tomatoes,
and some garlic powder, because I don't have any real garlic at the moment.
Okay, okay, I also threw in the 16 ounce package of button mushrooms from California that I bought at the grocery store last week.
I mixed this veggie goodness with a package of curly pasta that my husband requested from the grocery store. Voila. Dinner for two, and a whole lot of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment