Monday, September 13, 2010

Finished Apple Butter!

Because some of you wanted to see . . .

Apple Butter first thing in the morning, after cooking on low all night:
Another shot:

Apple Butter after cooking with the lid off (on low, not high as the recipe called for, because I decided to go back to bed instead of sitting up with the crock pot) for an hour:
Another shot:
All packed up and ready to go in the freezer:
The green-lidded containers hold 2 cups each. I think the blue-lidded container also holds about 2 cups, and the square container holds a cup and a quarter. The little one is in the fridge, the others are waiting for spring.

By the way, in a coffee shop last week, where I stopped after dropping my car off at the mechanic's to have the dragging piece of metal looked at, I enjoyed a cup of pumpkin spice coffee. This prompted the cashier to tell me that their order of pumpkin had arrived, and the first batch of pumpkin muffins would be available the next day. She apparently told other customers about the impending pumpkin-filled carbohydrate goodness, because I heard a lady ask the cashier, "Apple pie and pumpkin pie are so good. Why do we only make them in the fall?"

The cashier said she had no idea why we eat apples and pumpkins in the fall. Then the lady confessed she'd made an apple pie at the start of summer. You know, because you can get apples any time. It's not as if apples are seasonal like watermelon or anything.

I really wanted to enlighten them, but I figured that would be rude, so I just grimaced to myself, and thought at them as hard as I could, "Pumpkins and apples are fall crops. That's why we eat them in the fall!" And I enjoyed my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment